Friday, December 2, 2022

Fleetwood Mac - You Make Loving Fun


The amazing quality of Fleetwood Mac to have two great female songwriters has had my admirations since, I dunno--kindergarten? Whenever songs from Rumors hit the car radio where I first listened to music? But let me just talk about Christine McVie's voice for a minute: the positive vibes of her lyrics, the golden warmth of her no-doubt grown lady alto. 

I'm not comparing my love for Stevie Nicks with Christine McVie--my god, "Rhiannon" was the first song that took my little ass out and made me want to understand how to vocalize, how to lay down personal things in verse. But looking back on songs like "Everywhere" and "Little Lies", I'm hearing a such perspective. 

Of course, "Don't Stop" became a 90's anthem for the Clinton era. But the depth and the emotion she could manage, as if it was easy

I loved her voice, and her lyrics. I want her voice to woo me until the sun comes up and say that she loves me. Because I loved hearing her. 

2 comments:

Ten Bears said...

This one is surprisingly tough on me, though I wasn't necessarily a fan. Was a fan of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac before the McVie/Nicks iteration. Which isn't to gainsay you, Rumors got me through my first divorce, the less said about Gold Dust Woman the better (only Waylon Jennings did it better). She is of the collection I don't necessarily have to listen too, it swims around the back of my head.

Who are you calling old ... ?

Paul said...

Christine McVie was the optimist of the songwriting trio. Nicks was angry about the betrayals, wistful of the past but pained at the loss of love. Buckingham was bitter, struggling to wonder how things never worked out in relationships, his lyrics offering up his heart but also making demands a lover could never match.

But McVie was hopeful about love. Playful. She reveled in the joys. She wrote about how love could be fun. Even in a song like "Little Lies" where she sang about wanting the little white lies instead of the pain of truth. When you consider how she wrote "Don't Stop" as a message to her ex-husband John, urging *him* to move on from their broken relationship to find another one for himself ("Don't you look back..."), can you understand how McVie found love as a redemption.

The Mayorkas Impeachment was Mercy-Killed

  JUST IN: The Senate has killed a second article of impeachment against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, ending the House G...