Monday, February 13, 2023

Here there be massacres

 It is traditional,

like love letters

and candy, 

we have massacres here:

red and black and white

color our Valentine's Day,

cupid's arrows replaced by bullets,

the romance of the gun

and an affair with Death.

It is traditional,

like a daily ritual

practiced in tiny classrooms

and taught in auditoriums,

and workplace videos to remind you

your co-worker could go berserk,

so please take time to think how

you should run, hide, fight.

We have massacres here

for the old and young with no exemption,

our one truly inclusive

experience, and some

get to see two or more

in even one short lifetime.

Here there be massacres--

a feature of our landscape like amber waves of grain,

only waves of pain

and passersby that jest at scars

not having felt a wound.

And it happens so many times in a week 

we can hardly speak to it,

other than to say it happens and something goes horribly awry--

but we never quite answer: why?



2 comments:

Ali Redford said...

I'm fairly certain you don't want to hear that that is a beautiful piece anymore than I want to call it beautiful, so how about beautifully written, truthful, and spot-on. I'm sorry you had to write it, while I admire you for writing it. If this is inappropriate, it doesn't have to post, I'm just telling you.

Vixen Strangely said...

Yeah, it's hard to think about the subject matter as beautiful, and for me, if I write a poem, it sometimes means I have trouble discussing that thing in prose anymore. It just...keeps happening. We just keep having stories about mass shootings. It is madness.

The Elephant at the Protest

  I am completely opposed to the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from Gaza, I genuinely think the Rafah operation will be a bloodbath and s...