Sunday, August 21, 2022

I Would Do Anything for Love, But Absolutely Not

 

I am not here to tell Amanda Marcotte what to do with herself, because she is a whole grown person with an entire outlook of her own about what kind of world she wants to live in and so on, but as for me, if it comes down to would I ever vote for Liz Cheney, the answer is no, absolutely not, are you fucking kidding me, and what kind of fucked up monster do you think I became overnight when I started to hate Donald Trump more than I loved my own skin? 

I appreciate what Liz Cheney has done with the 1/6 committee just as I appreciate what Adam Kinzinger has done. And they are both dyed in the wool conservatives who, for any other reason, I would not fuck with. Let me talk about Liz Cheney, who I once characterized as being the parrot for her pirate father, a character entirely driven and drawn by her association with his political engineering. 

She defended torture. I am not over that. She never recanted that that I know of. But more monstrous to me, and unforgiveable, is the sort of culture war Hail Mary she launched as if to signify how much she still hated libs--she called us infanticides and talked about extremely late-term abortion.  She decided to talk over the necessary terminations of pregnancies that would not result in healthy children, she gloated in the face of tragic stillbirth and miscarriage, and pregnancies incompatible with life, to demonize liberals though (who lean towards uplifting the mother, a person in her own right, who deserves love for her experience of genetic tragedy, etc.)

I can't with that. What she is doing regarding 1/6 is entirely necessary and appropriate and has everything to do with national security and still having a democracy. But she is not a Democrat, and that matters to me. 

Her heroism in the face of becoming politically irrelevant is important. But not to the extent that I would give her political importance back. I would simply rather support Democrats. Full stop. The end.



2 comments:

Jimmy T said...

While I deeply appreciate her concern for the state of our democracy, I could never vote for her for any office including dog catcher for the same reasons you cited. More emphatically, not just no, but hell no...

Vixen Strangely said...

Yeah. I get Marcotte's point about primary fuckery, but she's dead wrong on how much of an impact Cheney would make when other Trump alternatives exist, and Cheney herself isn't a repudiation of the Republican party as a whole (voting 93% of the time with Trump's positions), just of Trumpism. Crossover Democrats just wouldn't have the numbers to catapult her into any kind of prominence, and the RNC looks like it would do everything in its power to limit anyone's real threat to Trump, let alone Liz Cheney's. It's not a Republican primary where you get rid of a Trump--it's the courts.

Kristi Noem, Dog Assassin

  SD Gov. Kristi Noem is getting a roasting over her depiction of killing a backwards "untrainable" puppy as well as a smelly goat...