Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Trump Talked to People Today and It Was Dystopian

 

Somehow, the former president of the United States suggested that permanent Hoovervilles were some kind of reasonable accommodation for the homeless instead of, I dunno, actually finding them real homes they could affordably live in with dignity and without having to crowd about with abusive and dangerous people. He also suggested that the federal government should be able to take control of state National Guard units in emergencies, like, I presume uprisings that fall out from unhomed people having access to a fucking tent among other desperate people instead of anything halfway approaching a shot at a somewhat normal and dignified life. 

This is exactly the kind of dystopia we've seen in SF. The proposal itself is suggestive of just clearing away inconvenient people and pretending their lives don't matter. It suggests a willingness to use violence to let everyone know how not-valued certain life actually is. 

This person cannot ever be near power again. He doesn't see any people as people, but as problems. and this is always a bad sign. He is a monster,  and thinks monstrous things. 


UPDATE: No this was not a neat change from comparing things to the Handmaids or even Orwell. That multiple dystopian narratives start sounding really plausible is not actually a great takeaway or either me finally understanding that my English Lit degree has value, it's me realizing I should know a lot more about firearms and jarring vegetables than I actually do because the shit is basically right on top of us. Welcome to my nightmare, says a Generation Xer primed for Soylent Green and the rise of the machines. I mean. Seriously? We are overrun with hammerheads and require merely people of competence to show up. 

And I think these people will.  I have to. 

No comments:

TWGB: Von Shitzinpantz

  Trump: I’m not allowed to testify. I’m under a gag order pic.twitter.com/4qeH81ERWo — Acyn (@Acyn) May 2, 2024 It's hard not to view ...