Monday, December 30, 2019

Being Fair to Biden



I've seen a lot of hand-wringing and umbrage about Biden suggesting that he might consider a Republican for a running mate, but I think you have to take it for what it is: he was asked a question that was framed in the context of "pulling out all the stops" and that it was proposed by the questioner's 21-year old kid. In that context he said he'd consider a Republican, but he couldn't think of one.

Couldn't think of one. It wasn't his proposal, he doesn't have a Republican in mind to run with, and he probably has no intention to do that at all; he just wasn't going to be dismissive of the whole concept, and is aware that for some people (and he seems to be one) the possibility of some kind of bipartisanship for some issues stays alive. (But not a damn Republican on the ticket!)

I don't personally think this country is at a place where bipartisanship is something I'm really optimistic about. If hit with the same question, myself, I'd be more inclined to say something like, "A Republican, you say? I just don't think that would work very well." What I think a lot of lefties were hoping for as a response is more along the lines of "Are you kidding me? Have you seen those Morlocks lately?"

But that wasn't what that questioner was hoping to hear, and that might not have resonated with that crowd. It's a question of responding with a message that matches the time and place. A politician just isn't able to always say exactly the thing you want them to say exactly when you think they should say it. But obviously, this is a non-issue--a hypothetical.

And yet, I'm literally grinding my teeth that some vapid doofus is going to bring this up at a future debate. Damn, politics are dumb.

1 comment:

Ten Bears said...

I don't like him but credit where credit due: that was The Best Response to That Question.

Troll the trolls. Doesn't change anything, just credit where credit due.

TWGB: This Situation is not Hypothetical

  In today's SCOTUS hearing, Samuel Alito argued that immunity for former presidents is good, actually, because without it, ex-presiden...