Monday, February 20, 2017

Milo Yiannopoulos to Keynote CPAC

Oddball Breitbartian queer fetish-object Milo Yiannopoulos, recently seen on Real Time with Bill Maher, has been selected to be the keynote speaker at CPAC, a conservative shindig that pretty recently wasn't even cool with the Log Closet Cabin Republicans a mere two years ago. But after the reputed "smooth sailing" experienced by even the LCR last year, it's really quite something to have a very out British non-straight person actually as a feature, and not some weird kind of bug. Right? Progress! Big-ass tent. Room for Caitlin Jenner and all that.

I don't even know what to think about this. I actually think I should think nothing about it at all, and just make sure I have ample popcorn handy while viewing YouTube videos of what he has to say.

Now, there has been some question about whether Yiannopoulos is a supporter of pedophilia based on a certain video. . If Milo Yiannopoulos was a victim of pedophilia as a minor as he infers in that exchange (by a cleric in particular), and also in his Facebook disavowal of any support of pedophilia, I am prepared to support him in that disavowal as a supporter of victims' rights--

But he's proven over time that he has a slippery set of ethics in his reporting about various things. He mostly seems to be stunting, rather than having an actual intellectual point. His mishpacha refer to people being pedos either for the lulz or for great justice with no apparent commitment either way.  It's like "Jackass", but for Right-Wing ideology.


I have no real scholarship on what this boy is about but I think it is fascinating that Maher puts Christopher Hitchens' name in his mouth about this young man (no, son, no--I have my feelings about Hitchens and I know Maher does too, in making his comedy rounds to especially red state venues after Hitchens' habit of arguing with specifically red state evangelicals, but just no) when there is not anything like the scholarship nor attention to detail there--just the plummy little accent.

But I will restate my entire lack of shock or awe--just fascination with Breitbart's little shiny token of LGBT representing making it all the way to the CPAC bigtime. I never realized how very "progressive" the conservative movement was fixing to be. Especially when it came to an outspoken smearer of transfolx and a disparager of his own queerness, and also a person who refers to black people on the reg as low IQ.  (Although he alleges he likes to fuck them. In a self-and them-hating way, I guess?)

He says he's damaged goods. Who am I to challenge that claimed identity? I wish CPAC every bit of luck with this new and diverse direction. Although I think you might want to keep an eye out for Tony Perkins or Scott Lively trying to bring the whole house down like Samson amongst the Philistines. So. Very. Awkward.

No comments:

Vance Walked into This So Hard

  KAITLAN COLLINS: So you agree that people who break in and vandalize a building should be prosecuted? JD VANCE: Yes COLLINS: Ok, I'm...