Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sen. McConnell Will Still Get No Respect, And Other Election Things

Among other things, my state was one of those having a big primary day, and it looks like us ABCD's (Anybody But Corbett Democrats) will be getting behind Tom Wolf to take down the hopefully very vulnerable Republican governor. (I've just about gotten over thinking "the Bonfire of the Vanities/Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test writer?" when I hear Wolf's name. I read a lot. I've sorted myself.) I think the choice of Wolf makes sense as the guy with the best shot to take Corbett down. Us Dems--we don't like Corbett, and Wolf has a lot of charm, money, and smarts. We will see. Also, the young man (well, he's 37, but you tell me he doesn't still get carded) above is Brendan Boyle, who beat out Marjorie Margolies-Mezvinsky, etc. to very probably be my next US Rep. I was in favor of him because he has hustle, he's bright, and I don't care about Chelsea Clinton's mother-in-law. I just want good representation. I don't know--Margolies-Mezvinky isn't bad--I just want someone who will consider being a Congressman a full-time job (my District leans left--Boyle is likely to get the seat).

But my local politics is still local...how about Mitch McConnell coming out on top over Matt Bevin? I think this was basically to be expected--he had the incumbency, being the Senate Minority Leader, and a financial advantage behind him, but it looks like there is some ambivalence within the GOP base at large (not just in KY) about his success as a part of the party leadership.  This is a year where it has been supposed that the Senate Minority Leader could find himself a Majority leader.That transition may have something to do with McConnell's success against Democratic challenger Allison Lundergan Grimes.  And I think she will give him a real fight. He might not be leader of much if she beats him.

And in another US Senate primary match--it looks like a run-off for GA at the moment. But it looks like establishment has edged out crazy there, so. Such an interesting day!

No comments:

Morning Moment of Zen

  Alina Habba gives a masterclass on how to saw celery. pic.twitter.com/XwUBmcGt2P — Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) April 22, 2024 Seein...