Thursday, March 6, 2008

Try a little Tenderness...



I balked a little bit about writing this, because it felt a little bit like airing dirty laundry publically, but I suppose this thing needs to be said. Others may have said something, I know. And they may have said it better. This I also know. But I will have it out, and then I will let it rest, because I do not want to have to say this again.

Look at those two starry-eyed Presidential hopefuls up there. I recall, about six months ago, give or take, I was kvelling over the great pool of eligibles my Democratic party had.

I had loved, loved, loved Hillary at first sight--I cast my first vote in a presidential election for her spouse, and was very proud to have such an accomplished, intelligent First Lady. I both rooted for her as she tried to tackle the health care issue and make sense of a truly complicated concern, and felt empathy with her when the combination of partsan snipers and media hounds nosed their way even into her private life. I felt sick that that happened, not just to public figures I knew well, but to a family. That was why I was so happy to see that she and Bill survived, together, and to watch as she got her Senate seat for New York. I always thought she could do great things for this country, drawing on her experience of both the best and the worst Washington had to offer, with her keen intelligence and concren for others.

I remember, also, being very intrigued by the story of Barack Obama, although I have not known of him as long. Of course, many Americans did not know of him until he gave the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, but what a speech it was! And as a US Senator, Barack Obama has distinguished himself in the Senate , showing an ability to address needs and also, a strong perception of not just domestic issues, but a cosmopolitan grasp of foreign policy. His eloquence and charisma are spoken of, but the truth is, there is a depth to the strengths of this candidate, and even should we not have him as our nominee this year (although the delegates are in his favor right now) we have by no means seen the last of him--he is a young man in Senate-years (because, you know, senators like Spector and Byrd show the longevity one can have in legislative service) and will surely be on the presidential path again.

Both are capable, talented politicians. Praising one takes not a thing away from the other. This has been a long primary--and when you consider the caliber of the fallen: Edwards. Kucinich. Biden. Dodd. Good men. But the narrative of these two (sorry, if I gave no shout out to the estimable Mr. Gravel, but I do believe he is still in the race. Or on the ballots. Something like that.)

It is in this spirit that I bemoan the negativity that has arisen from the competition between these history-making giants--a serious, viable woman candidate. A serios, viable, African-American candidate. They represent different styles, different experiences, but what candidates don't? And yet, something darker seethes in the enmity between the camps as seen in blog commetary. Violence is seen in homes and between acquaintances. It is alleged by some that Clinton's campaign has done dark deeds, adjusting the color on ads, sending surrogetes to speak in race-laden code, and even the mention of a certain real estate connection has been made--so strange, really, if truth be known. What type of mountain could be made from the molehill of a possible sweetheart land deal? (Ahem.)

And now, it is even bruited about, that Obama, Mr. Cool himself, could go negative. Not merely riposting against such jibes, he may mean to fight. Alas--poor Hillary. She has been vetted--but her scrutiny hasn't been the same as it was in the White House. We know all her business--the '90's business. She may have some new business, for all we know. And don't think people won't look. They will.

But you see, I started positive, didn't I? I never did link to any of the scurrilous claims I could have.

See--that's because I want a Democratic candidate to win. Here's my major reason why:



He smells of FAIL. He is Mr. Unpopularity. He lied over 900 times to the American people, screwed up the relief of Katrina, got us into war, is cool with torture, and we have this little inconvenient thing called a $3 TRILLION war in Iraq-which has resulted in American casualties and may not have really made us any safer.

Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Obama, Senators and decent people, the both of you--I need one of you to be in good shape to face this:



A man whose position are not substantially different from Bush's.

Ronald Reagan, who I never really cared for, had a commandment, "Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican." Can we admire him just a little, and show some party discipline of our own? Try "Thou shalt not do oppo research for the GOP." It's tacky and unhelpful. I really want one of you to win, 'kay?

No comments:

The Red Line for Journalism

  I wonder why Speaker Johnson is so passionately weighing in on the Ronna firing… oh… https://t.co/Ek1OdMBDyN pic.twitter.com/uh7JEewLpr ...