Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Christmas Memories: 1991

 


Look, I was a Cold War kid and this was meaningful to me in the way the fall of the Berlin Wall was. My neighborhood had a lot of people who were immigrants from the USSR. I believed it was about generational change--the youth getting rid of the Communist gerontocracy. It felt like popular protest made things happen. But it wasn't that alone.  Not exactly. There are opportune times for things to happen. 

Putin tried to take an opportunity when the West was tired of war to make something happen that never will again.  Russia is paying a price for trying to make their neighbor, Ukraine, unfree. If US conservatives rooted against the USSR like I did as a liberal agnostic kid who passionately loves freedom, they would continue to support the valiant struggle for sovereignty and western values. Support NATO. Look down on despots.  

Otherwise, if they support tyranny and strongmen  (doing lipservice to religion as an opiate of the masses) who are really littledick men projecting terror because they can't fill potholes or collect taxes properly, or who are desperately clinging to power so they can avoid civil and legal penalties, they can go suck an exhaust pipe. 

This is my expressive Christmas wish for the CPAC/Turning Point/MAGA grifters. This love of eastern-style tyranny is fucked in the head and not what this nation was founded on. You all just gross me out for having no sense of history. Get with the western values that made America great, or admit you got nothing and just want to be arschleckers to a big daddy figure. 

1 comment:

Ten Bears said...

https://youtu.be/n4RjJKxsamQ

I stopped posting John Lennon's Imagine a couple years ago

I just don't see it ...

TWGB: All the King's Goons

  It took me awhile, but I remembered when Matt Gaetz used Twitter to harass witness against Trump, Michael Cohen (he was cleared of wrongdo...