Thursday, February 3, 2022

Sorry, I Don't Pray That Way

Maybe it's because I'm militantly agnostic, or maybe I'm just a firm believer in the separation of church and state, but the idea of the National Prayer Breakfast never has sat well with me. The idea that the nationa can unite in prayer doesn't seem as important to me as whether we are united in a sense of common citizenship apart from our religious inclinations, which are diverse.

It also strikes me as bizarre and hypocritical that one might want to unite with people who are part of openly anti-LGBT and Islamophobic hate groups. Even though Biden's message of unity is well-taken, I just don't know if there is value in it, and have a hard time seeing the value in saying nice things about Mitch McConnell that stretch the values of words like honesty and honor. I think it's a tradition that needs to go.

No comments:

The Elephant at the Protest

  I am completely opposed to the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from Gaza, I genuinely think the Rafah operation will be a bloodbath and s...