Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Here's a Bit of History

 


This is the first president whose inauguration I can remember. Now, if you know my age, you might think that is improbable, but 1976 was a big year in Philadelphia with the Bicentennial and all. And I guess I imbibed political sensibility a bit from my mom. In 1977 I had a turntable, a Kiss album alongside my Sesame Street records and was a fan of Happy Days and watched some documentary about the 25th anniversary of rock and roll on PBS about a dozen times, it felt like. 

I remember the 1970s. I was already me by the time I was a toddler cleaning up shot glasses after parties (the taste of blackberry brandy and the sound of Steppenwolf) and listening to the Midnight Special. when I definitely wasn't supposed to still be awake and turning on the sole tv in the house and was lifting cold pizza out of the fridge. Mom finding me zonked on the floor with the farm report or Chief Halftown on in the morning.

He reminded me of Mr. Rogers then, and that was all right by me. He still does, and I don't have a greater compliment. He cares, and he acts on his sense of caring. It's the best thing you can say anyone ever does. 


Kamala Harris is a lot closer to my age than Jimmy Carter and is a woman, like me. I am still mad about the women in their 100's and their 90's in 2016, who finally got to vote for a woman for president and she never broke through the ceiling she most certainly dented. 

But maybe me and the first president I can remember as a girl, who talked so appreciatively of his own daughter, Amy, when I was a little girl myself and wanted grownups to believe in girls, can see Kamala Harris win together. 

Maybe this is just a sentimental, schmaltzy departure from me busting on Trump's mental decline or whatever--but I would like to see this. She is so ready, and I am so ready. and we are so ready. 

So here is Harris calling Trump a weak bitch who loves dictators because of his weak bitchness. Because I am sentimental, but this is business and Trump needs a boot in the ass. 



I'm not saying "we've come a long way, baby" or "she can bring home the bacon" or whatever passed for 1970s feminism. I am saying this candidate is herself outstanding and can do the damn job. Not because she's a woman, but because she is a boss. 

And the miserable misogynist she is running against is an echo of the past that a 100 year old man knows should be left to history. Because he has fought against that bigotry in his own life and in his own faith. 

No comments:

Here's a Bit of History

  If your spirits are down, lift them with this thought: Jimmy Carter lived long enough to vote for Kamala Harris today. ❤️ pic.twitter.com...