Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Clickbait, Context and Code Pink

 

The above picture is a screenshot of a 25 second video that got a lot of clicks--10M views! A lot of well-meaning people had a strong response to it and so did I--just, not the same one they did. See, in light of the comments that Nancy Pelosi made Sunday which I alluded to in my previous post, it's possible for some people to assume Pelosi had become unhinged or something--what is she even talking about?  Russian influence, now "go back to China"? You could forgive someone for assuming that protesters were trying to get commentary out of her just NOW over what she said in the interview. 

As for me, I thought it might be the case. but it's just a 25-second clip with no context. If someone showed up to protest me at my home, after it had been my spouse not so long ago attacked by a madman in my home, I'd be rude as hell to uninvited "guests". "Go back to China" sounded to me maybe like a way to suggest these guys were commies or something. 

But it's from an earlier protest and the protesters are Code Pink, who ARE funded by CCP money. And Pelosi is used to them haunting her lawn--they did it in 2007, and they do it today.  And my humble opinion is they are assholes


So, here's the thing--Russia and China both are literally pro-Hamas and using social media for disinfo. And yes, they are blaming US policy, and I don't think the US is without blame. The problem isn't supporting Netanyahu today--it's been letting him know since forever he could get away with murder, it's not being more public earlier with what the US expects and putting conditions on aid and it's also not putting things more into context for Americans who notoriously don't know geography and aren't thinking about foreign policy all the time. 

But Biden is not the villain of this story.

I don't assume all the protests or all the protesters are an "op", and people can organically come up with incredibly off-putting and dumb ways to protest all on their own. I don't think much of vandalizing libraries, protesting businesses owned by Jewish people and trying to shut down bridges and airports. How is any of that accomplishing anything?  And with the right (wrong!) influences, the activity of protesting without going anywhere will lead some people down weird rabbit holes. And potentially destructive choices. 

I'm just saying--that clip was 25 seconds. It was there to elicit a certain response and it did. That's something to consider. People will see that clip and not gather the context. And some, having come to a conclusion, won't change their opinion even if new information is added. That's not how conversations start--it's how they end. 

3 comments:

Dan Kleiner said...

after what happened to her husband i don't understand why pelosi doesn't have ballistae, a moat and a phalanx around her damned house.

Vixen Strangely said...

Me, I'd have dogs. Big ones. I appreciate the protesters HAVE freedom of speech, but that they feel like this sort of thing is the productive time or place is wild. And taking both what she said out of context and setting this kind of confrontation up is in bad faith. What she doesn't do is run Israel's military--period. She doesn't have a say in if a ceasefire happens and can only make suggestions. And then they are going to be perpetually in her face?

I really don't know how they think any of this works. Provided the goal even is peace and not just some "hate America" thing.

Dan Kleiner said...

or they DO think it works, but "it" is "driving up negative perception and increasing division among the democratic party"

pelosi might know something we don't about where their money and organizational impetus comes from.

TWGB: All the King's Goons

  It took me awhile, but I remembered when Matt Gaetz used Twitter to harass witness against Trump, Michael Cohen (he was cleared of wrongdo...