Sunday, November 1, 2020

Lindsey Graham is on His Bullshit Again

 

I did not think Graham would make a more bare-faced exclusionary statement than the remarks he had regarding Black and brown people living in South Carolina, but here he goes again. Now, as for me, I have been in America since birth, and firmly believe in taking care of the health and rights of people who have been born (as well as the pre-natal care for pregnant people so that they can have healthy babies if they choose), am militantly agnostic, and understand that traditionally, people have formed many kinds of families, so I would certainly like to think there's "a place" for me in America. 

 (And I happen to also know that the phrase "young lady" rankles many actually young ladies who have just been told what they should believe as it rankles me at my big age. It always seemed a bit of a condescension.) 

 Like Trump's foolish "we're getting your husbands back to work" comment, these words show no recognition of the diversity ofwomen's lives. We are sometimes the sole breadwinners in our households, we go to work and have meaningful careers, we want to be paid what we are due, and not dependent on another person's labor, but women have suffered the brunt of job-losses in this pandemic. Trump talks about women wanting safety from hypothetical (and presumably Black and brown, because, wow, yes, dog-whistles!) strangers, when surrounding himself (and being, himself) persons who are abusive to their partners, in a party that that privileges the gun rights of abusers over our lives. 

 As with the right wing's touting of Amy Coney Barrett's seven young qualifications, we are faced with a picture-book image of women as household angel, who "keeps sweet" and raises babies, not hell. His view seems to me like a faded antique, and for many women who grew up as I did, the feeling should be that the genie has long been out of the bottle. This appeal he's making is towards certain evangelicals who go out of their way to extoll "family values" in a way that barely values people, let alone families.

And Graham wonders why he has been so dominantly outraised during this campaign. (Did he not know us frails control our own purse-strings these days?)


5 comments:

mcfrank said...

"Young lady" doesn't just seem like a condescension; it IS one. "Who do you think you are, young lady?" is probably the most common usage I'm aware of.

As a man I don't think I have ever referred to a female person as "young lady" as it sounds like an old fashioned correction to a child by a parent. Nope, never used that phrase, not even for my female dog.

Ten Bears said...

As condescending as 'bless his/her heart'. (I have used that with my daughter, grand-daughters. gets their attention)

Did you see the headline about the trumpsuckers demanding husbands force their wives to vote Trump?

Frank Uno said...

If Graham was a young gay man today, he could have a family of his own.

Linus Bern said...

I can't put my finger on it, but something about a batchelor in his sixties, who sleeps with rent boys, extolling traditional family as the route to success in life seems off.

Batocchio said...

What a jackass.

TWGB: Where's the Cavalry?

  Trump's trial, in a way, involves a bit of myth-making--today we learned that, per an agreement between Trump and David Pecker of the ...