Tuesday, May 6, 2014

This Wasn't Ever Going To Not Happen

There might be people who would question whether there's anything just too coincidental about Monica Lewinsky penning her memoirs and a possible Hilary Clinton presidential run.

I wouldn't be one of them. I've always had a soft place in my heart, in a way, for Lewinsky. I think it's maybe because we aren't so different in age, and I just feel entirely sympathetic to the idea that the media and the instant, sick and sometimes anonymous, gratification culture of the internet and the 24 hour news cycle violated her personal life in a virtually irreparable way that I don't think she or President Clinton could have ever fathomed. I don't think Clinton ever understood that his private business would ever be anything but private because he imagined it inconsequential in the grander scheme of things. And as for Monica Lewinsky, imagine you find a companionship and intimacy with the president of the US--I don't know what to call that relationship. But I understand how she got caught in it, and I think we all get in retrospect, how it might have always been doomed to be eternally spun.

And it had to follow, like night the day, that the signal jibber-jabber gossip mongering that became the defining scandal of the Clinton years had to be revived. This was not ever not going to happen.

No conspiracy needed. And I can not even blame Lewinsky for deciding the iron was hot. What Hillary Clinton chooses to do with this thing, if it even becomes a thing, when she runs (if she chooses to run) is so up to her.

But all agita aside, this was exactly what was going to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vixen,
you know, the poet who wrote Skinned might have been thinking of something along the lines of Monica Lewinsky's relationship to the Clinton's and the media when she wrote:

Holding myself together
stripped of all my surfaces,
trying to keep my features smooth,
trying not to bleed on the floor,
watching you take a little more,
I wonder what my skin was for?

--Formerly Amherst

The Mayorkas Impeachment was Mercy-Killed

  JUST IN: The Senate has killed a second article of impeachment against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, ending the House G...