Thursday, May 8, 2014

I still think there is something weird about Lois Lerner's silence...

Look, I am a deeply cynical person in some ways. That's why my hobby is politics and not, you know, charity and good works. So even though I have a tendency to understand the institutional reasons that the EO unit of IRS overreached with respects to 501(c)4 groups (and yes, I will insist in pointing out that, contra the original IG report, the overreach included progressive groups), I still think there is something weird and scandal-baity about how Lois Lerner has behaved during this whole thing. You know, like someone trying to act normal by tapping "E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g-i-s-o-k-n-o-t-h-i-n-g-t-o-h-i-d-e-h-e-r-e" in Morse code on a desk with their shoe over and over.

You know, from the planted question at the ABA panel to her taking the Fifth even though I don't even know what she thinks about all this is even "self-incriminating" unless not being a really good department manager has become a crime. Which almost makes me wonder if she's sticking to silence because, uh, it's just better to retire from this one job and shut up (because the Fifth really is a good deal for beating a contempt rap) than admitting her bailiwick was a cluster.

I don't know. I'm not trying to throw her under the bus, I'm just implying she saw the bus coming and lay down. And I am still pretty much side-eying Rep. Issa for not granting her immunity since she's obviously squirrelly, because if he did happen to think she had imput from someone above her, that would probably have been the ticket to getting her to roll. So I either think Issa is incompetent himself and intentionally decided to do something that did not serve the investigation, or he doesn't really think there was any political reason for the targeting, anyway, and just wanted to serve up somebody because he's a rotten example of a human being.

For partisan reasons, I am utterly cool with accepting the latter interpretation.

No comments:

TWGB: Fresh New Contempt

  🚨This appears to be a gag order violation. Habba’s title is Trump’s “legal spokesperson.” The gag order also restricts Trump from “direc...