Saturday, February 15, 2014

Tom Perkins Makes Some Interesting Points.

I have the feeling that Tom Perkins and I don't have considerable overlap in our personal views or experiences regarding money. It's okay, and I judge, but, like, I don't judge, man.  He's made a living knowing things about money, while for me, economics is a neat hobby, but I read poetry in college because my folks wanted me to be a useful citizen and iambs kept me off the pipe and the pole. Kind of. So I am taking his pronouncements with a grain of salt and a spoonful of sugar.

It's hard to not look at a claim that people should earn votes based on their tax dollars as a form of elitism where wealthy people have more value in a system based on their proportionate capacity to pay more in tax dollars because they have those dollars to pay. I could envision a system where, by virtue of greed and the complicity of the hoi polloi, the wealthy could become disenfranchised by a tax law exempting the 1%-ers from all taxation. Followed by a brief and satisfying reign of terror in the exact year they lose all the votes. But I have long dipped my toes in speculative fiction where justice often follows narrative ends.

I do not suggest that such a future is practical nor probable. But I do note that our popular elections are so run that money does have sway in the ability of candidates, or whole movements, such as the Tea Party, to gain offices. The ability to create issues, generate turn-out, attract donations (by that old black magic called "It takes money to make money"), run ads that popularize a candidate's name and visage, and so on, are greated aided by money.

Why, let me introduce you to the Koch Brothers, if you haven't been introduced! They've got a system.  They are two guys who can fund a remarkable number of think tanks (thought tanks, I think, because the thinks were already pre-thunk, no?), action groups, and whatever you might call them. This is several different ways to funnel money to campaigns, really. Many ways to soften up voter minds or harden positions for the gullible faithful inclined to seeing things their way. Billionaires can even buy or build whole news networks. They are even owning whole states, in their unpleasant way.  With the Citizen's United decision, dollars pretty well convert to votes. Perkins' dream is about here.

I think this is why folks of limited resources need to take advantage of voting while we can, because it is regularly being screwed with. (Nope, even today.) And let's make sure our votes don't get bought out from under us.

(X-posted at Rumproast.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vixen, surely today anyone within 5 miles of ideological relevancy knows that whether you are talking about George Soros, the Koch brothers, or for that matter John and Teresa Kerry, politics left and right is up to the shoulders in money.

One of the reasons I am not more challenging to a lot of your statements is that I think the left is not entirely wrong in its criticisms of the right.

What is conspicuous by its absence is any mention of misdeeds by people on the left.

Should I ever come across a blog with that kind of honesty, I will become a devoted follower.

--Formerly Amherst

Vixen Strangely said...

Well, the Left has some catching up to do--the Tides Foundation has numerous advocacy offshoots for environmental and healthcare concerns, and there's the Center for Media and Democracy, although they actually act as an investigative watchdog for other orgs (sourcewatch.org is a pretty fascinating resource), but I think SEIU & Patriot Majority and some of the others are pretty much new kids on the block in terms of being "impact players"--and it's much harder to say they are literally being carried by millionaires & billionaires (and naturally--how am I gonna kick about them if they are pro-environment & pro-labor? It's like going to a restaurant and complaining the food's too good.)

TWGB: Where Did it Go?

  So, it looks like Trump is broke. He got Chubb to do his E. Jean Carroll thing, but they'll be fucked if they are standing his fraud t...