Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Oh, I Will show You a Limit...

I know that as a political blogger, I am bound to return to the same themes again and again because of the push and pull tidal forces that force the same flotsam and jetsam up into the national dialog. I accept it to an extent. But there are some things I just don't look forward to--take the probable return of the legend of Bill Clinton's wandering man-business in the event that Hillary Clinton does, in fact, decide that 2016 is her year. Rumors of the return of Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee (or certainly Rick Santorum will be in the frothy mix, do'ya think?) will also come with their own train of things about which I think are blogged to death.

But that's presidential elections--fine. Personalities wade in and out. Things like congressional elections also carry their own themes--horse race themes about whether votes will impact elections or be postponed or blah blah blah because of the risk of being primaried or losingin a general election over an unpopular vote. Thus, I don't really expect to be blogging about good news on the immigration reform front this year. But I accept that election politics impact congressional votes and vice versa--fine. It's politics, this is a political blog.

You know what I really don't want to blog about again, though? The debt ceiling, and whether hostages are being taken, and whether John Boehner's gavel is in peril because of violating the Hastert Rule. If I'm exhausted with them doing this stuff all over again, why can't GOP congress critters be equally exhausted (at least!) actually doing this stuff all over again?  If I see one more dope making the disingenuous "blank check" argument, I may do something rash. At this point, I think it is amaaaaazing that anyone gets away with it when we are doing this on a yearly basis, now.

And yet I foresee coming back to this, as if it was becoming a "new normal". (That "thud" you hear is my head against a figurative wall.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vixen,
not long ago I was shocked when I realized I had come to view political observation as watching mediocrity.

I don't care for the Olympics, but I freely admit that when you watch Olympics you are watching the very best people perform at their absolute highest level in a way that is unsurpassed by anything that takes place outside the Olympics.

In the Olympics, even the 10th worst performance is almost as close to perfection as it is possible for a human being to get.

Politics, when compared to the Olympics, is another matter altogether. When even the 10th place athlete gets an A, in politics people have a remarkably good day if they get a C-.

Even if someone managed to come up with an astoundingly good idea, by the time both parties wrangled with it, lobbyists had their inputs, and trade-offs and arm-twisting were done, it would not resemble itself when it emerged into the light of day.

It may have been Adlai Stevenson (not sure) who said that the very desire to go into politics should automatically disqualify one from participation.

--Formerly Amhers

TWGB: The Hope Hiccup

  The funny thing about Hope Hicks being the person whose testimony thus far has most atomized Trump's defense is that her job used to ...