Thursday, December 13, 2012

Susan Rice Drops Bid to Become Secretary of State

I suppose if there's one silver lining to come from Susan Rice's decision to withdraw her name from  the running for Hillary Clinton's replacement as Secretary of State, it's that Sen. John McCain has to stop his tantrum regarding her. (Oh, but how long before the next tantrum commences?)  I suppose I can see where people are coming from if they feel a little ripped off that she didn't get further in the process because it just feels like giving in to the angry old GOP bastards, and who wants to give them an inch? On the other hand, I lean towards this being her decision to make, and getting out before it gets uglier (as McCain was threatening) is very sensible.

But where does the White House go from here regarding SoS Search? I know the current narrative is the next at-bat goes to Sen. John Kerry, because that's who the Old Boys' Club deems acceptable, and also they want a crack at slipping Scott Brown back into the Senate.  Me, I don't see why Obama doesn't consider Samatha Power.  (Well, actually I kind of do.  I must be part troll that I'd be looking forward to "Shit-show 2: Power Boogaloo", because if the GOP wanted to shit-stir regarding Power, well, I guess they would.  But I'm a blogger and that's blog-fodder. I'm capricious like that.)

But regarding the idea that Sen. Kerry accepting a role as SoS necessarily means losing that seat, I'm not convinced. The people of the Commonwealth have seen Brown's act, and it's not like there isn't anyone who could run against him. I rather like the idea of Barney Frank in the Senate (we should be so lucky!). Although more than a few people on Twitter have mentioned Rep. Ed Markey, who I also rather like.

(X-posted at Rumproast.)

No comments:

TWGB: Cold Courtrooms and Old Farts

  You are supposed to pity Trump at this point, the miserable wretch that he is, made to sit by his enemies in a freezing cold courtroom mor...