Sunday, May 6, 2012

Implausible Deniability--



The White House has sort of walked this back, but I don't think you can put the toothpaste back in the tube on this one. It's 2012, and I just don't know how anyone who is concerned with the civil rights and equal protection under the law of all people can deny that the relationships of gay people absolutely deserve the same equal treatment to those of straight people--a lifetime commitment, to have and to hold, for richer and for poorer, 'til death is marriage, and the biological sex of the participants in that vow has no bearing on the meaning and the reality of the journey those partners set off on. It's the committment, the vow, the loyalty, that forms the family there, not the fleeting erotic bits. I've always considered this thing a no-brainer, and kind of fail to understand how anyone else doesn't.


Some people believe that Vice-President Biden is somewhat gaffe-prone, but I don't. I think he suffers from a case of something a bit rare in politics: an honest intellect. What some people view as unpolitic statements, I actually view as a sign of an active intelligence, and, more often than not, a fair and a kind one. For that reason, I take what he said today on its face: he is comfortable with gay marriage, and wants to see gay couples enjoy the same rights as straights. For what it's worth, I've always thought Obama's "evolving" position was just code for "can't say it out loud yet, but has no real opposition to gay marriage",

Maybe this is just a straight-married bi-girl's civil libertarian projectionism, but having known hope, why shouldn't I expect change? I don't think this was a trial balloon to see if maybe America was socially ready for marriage equality, but if it was, I think most of us are, and I think it's time the Obama Administration bust out of the tolerance-closet. I know it's an election-year, and I think it's important to be forward about it because Obama's opponent is not, and will never be our ally, but I think Obama could be.

Conscience and poll numbers doth make cowards of us all--if we let them. Leadership sometimes creates the change you want to see in the world. I kind if hope this is a signal that the administration that saw the end of DADT, will recognize marriage equality, and put on the record that what fate has brought together is not the government's business to keep asunder.

No comments:

TWGB: Where's the Cavalry?

  Trump's trial, in a way, involves a bit of myth-making--today we learned that, per an agreement between Trump and David Pecker of the ...