Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bob Costas' Interview with Jerry Sandusky--Just awful.



It's not an awful interview; actually, I think Bob Costas did the kind of questioning here that was entirely professional but probing and really good journalism, but from the point of view of a person listening to it, I have to wonder what in the world Sandusky or his lawyer were thinking in having this kind of interview done.  It isn't helpful to him. It's in many ways uncomfortable listening. What he says and how he says it are too easily judged, and I know that it's possible to read one's own biases into someone's responses.  But this part jumps out at me:

BOB COSTAS:
How would you define the part you played? What are you willing to concede that you've done that was wrong and you wish you had not done it?
JERRY SANDUSKY:

Well, in retrospect, I -- you know, I shouldn't have showered with those kids. You know.


BOB COSTAS:

That's it?

JERRY SANDUSKY:

Well that -- yeah, that's what hits me the most.

BOB COSTAS:

Are you a pedophile?

JERRY SANDUSKY:

No.

BOB COSTAS:

Are you sexually attracted to young boys, to underage boys?


JERRY SANDUSKY:

Am I sexually attracted to underage boys?

BOB COSTAS:

Yes.

JERRY SANDUSKY:

Sexually attracted, you know, I enjoy young people. I love to be around them. But no I'm not sexually attracted to young boys.


I think it's probable that he wouldn't call it "pedophilia". But there was an uncomfortable pause around the question "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?"  Most adults I know would be like, "Hell no!"  And there would be a lot of vehemence about that, especially if they were being accused of that very thing.  But he "enjoys young people" (not "underage boys" or children--I think words matter, here). Also, his description of what was going on as "horseplay"--it just seems like the line of a person in some deep denial about what he did.

That's just my opinion, but I have to say, I don't think it would be hard for others to come to a similar opinion based on some of his responses. And his lawyer's insinuations that the young people now coming forward are liars also rankles me. It just seems like a pre-emptive smear against possible victims, and I find that appalling.

No comments:

Devin Nunes is Just Asking Questions

  Trump Media CEO Devin Nunes says he has hundreds of thousands of smaller MAGA investors in Trump Media, and they are calling him asking w...