Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Blaming victims, Mocking Faith and other supposedly fun things predatory religions can do--



I know I've been keeping my religion-bashing to a minimum lately out of respect for honest practitioners--but this is the kind of rot that makes it hard for me to respect any system that works on people by fake promises (like being healed of a chronic disease) and punishes them by telling them that some straw-being is going to dump on them for not being something enough--whether it's moral enough, or devout enough, or whatever unspoken failing they think will break some already put-upon spirit with guilt and self-recrimination. It just doesn't stop amazing me that there are people who could devise such a method for screwing with people's emotions--

And yet who probably consider themselves very, very good people.  Well-intentioned, even. Maybe holy.  Or at least--holier than you. Especially if you're sick.

(Thank god I'm an atheist--part the nth.)

No comments:

The Elephant at the Protest

  I am completely opposed to the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from Gaza, I genuinely think the Rafah operation will be a bloodbath and s...