Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Could Rep. Souder have abstained from adultery?

This video is Indiana Representative Mark Souder with Tracy Jackson, the aide he was apparently "seeing."



It's about abstinence--get it? Anyway, Rep. Souder was very big on abstinence and the War on Drugs, which makes part of his prepared statement (link via TPM) strike me as a bit hollow:

Not only am I thankful for a loving family but for a loving God.

My comfort is that God is a gracious and forgiving God to those who sincerely seek his forgiveness as I do.

But I am so ashamed to have hurt those I love.
I am so sorry to have let so many friends down, people who have fought so hard for me.

The ideas we advocate are still just and right.
America will survive and thrive when anchored in those values.

Human beings, like me, will fail, but our cause is greater than individuals.

It is based upon eternal truths.

By stepping aside, my mistake cannot be used as a political football in a partisan attempt to undermine the cause for which I have labored

All of my adult life.


The cause for which he seems to have worked his whole life being using the mistakes of others as a political football? Some of these family-values people really need to spend more time thinking about their own families.

But one good thing he did was not put his wife in the teary-eyed but otherwise stoic "Stand by her man" position. I do want to give him credit for that.

No comments:

The Mayorkas Impeachment was Mercy-Killed

  JUST IN: The Senate has killed a second article of impeachment against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, ending the House G...