Saturday, November 17, 2007

Okay--Steampunk appreciation post.


I know, I'm probably coming across Steampunk kind of late, just like I notice all kinds of things a trifle late, but I'm going to admit, this is the thing my websearches have been all about lately, and I've really seen some cool and creative stuff out there. See, I have totally limited mechanical or technological skills myself, but I admire the heck out of people who do. I have to admit, I kind of cheered the first time I heard about someone cracking open and haxxoring an i-Phone, just because I think that, just like information wants to be free, tech wants to be modded. I think I'm longing for a brass and wood rotary-dial i-Phone that broadcasts MP-3's from a Victrola-style horn.

The above pic is from Datamancer's site--which I think is completely awesome. His mods are aesthetically pleasing and technically keen. Extremely impressive. But for other awesome Steampunkery, er, I've been visiting Brass Goggles and Steampunk Fashion , lately. My own goth-y--non-office wardrobe leans towards black and long skirts and poet-blouses--I think I've always liked the style, but just never really had a name for what it was I liked. So when I was sporting the khaki-linen suit with pocketwatch and privately thinking of it as my "explorer costume" (no really, I had such an ensemble)--maybe I was expressing a little Allan Quatermain thing--
Which reminds me, I am bummed because I have to wait a few more days before getting The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier--which was going to be out Nov. 14 but was delayed a couple days. Great Sheldrake's Fields! I've been looking forward to it since I finished TLOEG2. Sigh.....Expect a review once I've read it, seriously.

No comments:

TWGB: All the King's Goons

  It took me awhile, but I remembered when Matt Gaetz used Twitter to harass witness against Trump, Michael Cohen (he was cleared of wrongdo...