Sunday, March 5, 2023

Trump at CPAC: Apocalypse or Trump

 

They aren't my people and it isn't my crowd, but I can't help but feel like the vibe is off at CPAC this year. Is it because of groping allegations against Matt Schlapp? Is it because come big name conservative figures like Ron DeSantis, Tim Scott and Mike Pence weren't there? (Or is it more like, this was a house packed for Trump, and they would not have been welcome?) 

This made Trump the real feature--the guy who was going to electrify the event. And, well. I don't know. I guess I'm used to his act. If it's the sort of thing you like, I guess you would like that sort of thing, but for me, I've seen him complain about how unfair things are for him (Ugh! His STRUGGLE!), make up stories that did not happen, and then wax apocalyptic as a part of his mythmaking to set himself up as an avenging angel against all enemies of the fatherland who will create a new America. 

Am I kidding? No. He says things like "they are not coming after me, they are coming after you" to his fan club so they will think of his plight as theirs. (He has stopped pretending there was any distance between himself and the 1/6 insurrectionists with a recording with the "J6 Prison Choir" to raise funds for the inmates.) He says, just as he did in his 2020 campaign, that if he doesn't win this time, "we" won't even have a country. And he promises he will be their retribution. 

But if he does win, he has such promises:

Trump has a little list of things he would like to create--new "Freedom Cities". Flying cars. A per-child stipend for the hero mothers...who will help build the great new baby boom.

Wait, what? Well, yeah. Baby bonuses. I feel like there will definitely be some demographic constraints (straight, married property owners) on who gets rewarded but, that's what the man said. Also, he will drive out the decadent art and architecture that is bringing us down. Strengthen the border. Send the National Guard into the big cities to fight crime. Probably continue to not support NATO. 

He says this is the final battle--it's his battle, not ours. He is old, laden with court-dates, twice-impeached, and even if he cannot admit it, lost very legitimately in 2020. His superfans at the diminished CPAC want him--fellow election-loser Kari Lake even kissed a portrait of him--but who actually needs him?  

(I don't know, but they will probably also need pardons or something.) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds just like Hitler

Vixen Strangely said...

Every year, the gang at CPAC and Trump himself hide it less and less, is how I see it.

Deep in the Dark Heart of Texas

  BREAKING: Texas Governor Greg Abbott pardons Daniel Perry for killing BLM protester Garrett Foster pic.twitter.com/lSn3WafPE4 — BNO News ...