Sunday, March 15, 2020

Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time

So I was home alone today, because "social distancing" is basically a lifestyle choice I've been engaging in long before it became popular, and I noticed a white plastic tent set up across the street in my neighbors' driveway. My brain being my brain, I peered out at it, just a little worried--hazmat containment? Shit has hit the fan.  Then I noticed there was nearly no one around, but there were coolers and a folding table inside. It's a party tent.

A St. Pat's party. Two dozen of their friends and fam, drinking beer in a closed space. Why not?

Well, because the governor here cancelled schools and stuff for a reason. These people could just drink at their own homes, but no. There's a quirk of the mind for many people, I guess, to look at what they consider commonplace and just not see that circumstances have changed. It's the quirk where people are still going into crowded restaurants and bars and whatnot. Hell, same as people swarming to get toilet paper and hand sanitizer at the stores because why wouldn't a store be a fine place?

People aren't quite grasping that the problem isn't hanging around people that seem sick; it's hanging around people who seem well, for now.

I also see people who are still leaning into the idea of COVID-19 being a hoax or overblown. They want to thumb their noses at the wet blankets and no-funningtons who are trying to tell them how to live their lives. It bothers me how many adults with responsible jobs (like, I dunno, United States legislator, or whatever) who have that attitude.

It's just the wrong way to go about things. It's better to prepare to prevent a disaster than manage a crisis. And nobody urging extreme caution right now wouldn't actually prefer to be proven very much mistaken. At which point, any number of "Hey we didn't all die!" parties can be thrown.

I don't think the math looks great, though. People are strange, and some take more time to adjust to things than they actually have.

3 comments:

Victor said...

Vixen,
All I ken figger, is that since the hand-sanitizer people have to use on the outside has to contain alcohol, then maybe some Irish Whiskey and stout* will help protect them from the inside?

*Yeah, I know the alcohol level has to be at least 60% to be effective, and neither of those meet that standard, but many jokes are still funny even if they don't meet reality's tough standards. ;-)

Vixen Strangely said...

Sure enough, I use alcohol myself internally for laundering that which the eye would never see. (There has been, sad to say, multiple fatalities associated with a still in Iran where the poor guys thought libations aplenty would have an antimicrobial benefit and were, culturally and I guess scientifically, incapable of handling their poteen.) But I drink with me, myself, I, and perhaps the fay. I needn't breathe my microbes onto others--

But this reminds me of a story of my grandmother. She worked her entire life, and once was sitting for the neighbors' children, who were a sight to behold. So she set them to washing themselves with soap and water, because their necks weren't fit for the Pearly Gates by a longshot. The mother of the ragged caught wind, and advised, "Helen, you can't scrub them so clean their bodies won't know a germ if they saw it." But Gran retorted that you certainly could wash them clean enough that the naked eye wouldn't water to notice them.

She was a nurse, my grandma.

Victor said...

LOL!!!

At a Displaced Person's Camp in Germany after the war, my grandfather damn near died from drinking some camp hootch someone'd brewed.
I drink bonded stuff..
Cheap vodka or bourbon.
I'm old and poor, but, that's better than nothin'!!!!! :-)

Kristi Noem, Dog Assassin

  SD Gov. Kristi Noem is getting a roasting over her depiction of killing a backwards "untrainable" puppy as well as a smelly goat...