Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Marco Rubio is so Checked Out



I think the Founding Fathers probably thought that the legislative branch would have something to do with passing laws and listening to their constituents about what they wanted, but soon-to-be-ex-Senator-once-his-term-is-up Rubio is just, like, over it. I get that he has to project that he's angry and wants to make changes, but I dunno. What changes?

If his appeal is that he's young, the funny old thing is he has little overlap with the younger generation in terms of social issues. And setting aside his try at immigration reform (it's okay--he has!) his brand of conservatism is kind of, well, basic. Here's his ideas from 1994:

"One of the things I'm going to do on my first day is office is I will put the prestige and power of the presidency behind a constitutional convention of the states," Rubio said at a campaign stop in Waterloo, Iowa on Tuesday. "You know why? Because that is the only way that we are ever going to get term limits on members of Congress or the judiciary and that is the only way we are ever going to get a balanced-budget amendment."

Term limits and a balanced-budget amendment. (A lot of people will credit Rubio with being the first guy to talk about a constitutional convention in this primary, but I believe that honor goes to John Kasich.)

It sort of reminds me of when Rubio unfurled his "Rubio Doctrine"-- which could fit on a postage stamp and leave plenty of room for printing the price of the stamp. It's like his campaign doesn't have a lot of depth--and I think his rivals may have noticed.

No comments:

TWGB: Cold Courtrooms and Old Farts

  You are supposed to pity Trump at this point, the miserable wretch that he is, made to sit by his enemies in a freezing cold courtroom mor...