Tuesday, August 19, 2014

ISIL Apparently Beheads US Journalist

This disgusting abuse and murder of James Foley reminds me very much of how sickened I was at the similar murder of Daniel Pearl.

I try to be temperate, believe in diplomacy, consider multiple solutions--it's just the immediate, visceral effect on me, as an American who believes in freedom of the press and needfulness of people to tell the story, provides me with nothing but options that result in ISIL being reduced to a pale pink mist.

I feel at a loss to understand what they think this display means to us--are we scared of them? I'm not Lindsey Graham, and I don't pee my panties at the idea of ISIL coming here to American soil and pulling that shit--but that they pull this shit anywhere on the planet bothers me. It makes me feel disturbingly angry and murderous myself.

I have to sit with how I feel about war when I find it plausible. This shit with crucifying Christians and massacring Yezidi and destroying sacred or at least historically worthy places and now strutting this act in front of our shocked Western faces?  Makes me think there very well is a point or a dozen at stake. And I may just be momentarily feeling some kind of righteousness that passes before you can say "War is a racket".

Or not. ISIL is feeling like a special case, right now.

No comments:

TWGB: Where's the Cavalry?

  Trump's trial, in a way, involves a bit of myth-making--today we learned that, per an agreement between Trump and David Pecker of the ...