Friday, August 8, 2014

I think it is good to do something for the Yezidi

I haven't really given thought to the Yezidi in some time, and struck again by how religious bigotry can lead to destruction--whether of ancient art or relics, or of an ancient people.  I suspect that the US humanitarian food drop to them may lead to other things, and that people may become concerned with the idea that these people are considered "devil worshippers"--in large part because their Melek Taus or "Peacock Angel" is essentially an angel from the beginning of creation who disobeys a command to bow to man--as the Christian idea of Lucifer had done.


Now, I'll admit, what little bit I know about them is a trifle influenced by Seabrook's Adventures in Arabia, and my impression of this ancient sect has a lot to do with my long fascination with study of near eastern religious study. But when you break down beliefs like:

Yezidism is syncretistic: it combines elements of many faiths. Like Hindus, they believe in reincarnation. Like ancient Mithraists, they sacrifice bulls. They practise baptism, like Christians. When they pray they face the sun, like Zoroastrians. They profess to revile Islam, but there are strong links with Sufism, the mystical branch of Islam.

One is only scratching the surface. They honor sacred trees (asherah)? They don't wear dark blue, which is sacred and always worn by other people (such as Bedouins) in the area. They are like an amazing snap of religious and cultural history--and also, they are human beings who can suffer, be persecuted, are dying because some other sect thinks they are dangerous.

I might have my issues with us going back into Iraq, but if we're actually doing something helpful to humans--I think I can agree with it.

No comments:

TWGB: This Situation is not Hypothetical

  In today's SCOTUS hearing, Samuel Alito argued that immunity for former presidents is good, actually, because without it, ex-presiden...