Monday, August 5, 2013

Boston Bomber Blogger Baiting?

On one hand, I don't think that what the Tsarnaevs believed even remotely is more important than what they did--which was an act of murder, mutilation, and terror that would easily serve to discredit the value of anything else that they could possibly have meant to say by their actions. On the other hand, I do wonder how they came to their murderous point of view. Which is why this does seem kind of interesting, but only raises more questions:

The programme discovered that Tamerlan Tsarnaev possessed articles which argued that both 9/11 and the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing were government conspiracies. 
Another in his possession was about "the rape of our gun rights". 
Reading material he had about white supremacy commented that "Hitler had a point". 
Tamerlan Tsarnaev also had literature which explored what motivated mass killings and noted how the perpetrators murdered and maimed calmly. 
There was also material about US drones killing civilians, and about the plight of those still imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay.
I'm kind of weird--I "possess" some right-wing conspiracy literature from time to time myself, but I doubt anyone would necessarily suppose I believe or endorse it, I...guess. Maybe it would be different if I snapped out and decided to kill and.or maim a bunch of people. The possession of white supremicist material and the stuff looking for motivations of other mass killers though. kind of looks like they might have been psyching themselves up. I don't know. Maybe if one wants to kill a bunch of people, and doesn't have any one good reason, looking for a bunch of shitty reasons does just as well.

Sometimes I do wonder if there are people who start off fucked up, and then fill in their justifications. But I don't know that an article like this necessarily "proves" any particular affinity, you know?  And I definitely don't think that having any particular political point of view even remotely makes the tools they used understandable. The main thing I take away from what they did is they had hate in them. And ultimately, the "whys" lose their shape in the enormity of their actions.

If they had a message--they could have started a fucking blog, or something. Otherwise, they were just sick fucks. Although maybe Dzhokar can be prison pen pals with Anders Breivik. And I still wonder what the fuck is wrong with people.

No comments:

TWGB: This Situation is not Hypothetical

  In today's SCOTUS hearing, Samuel Alito argued that immunity for former presidents is good, actually, because without it, ex-presiden...