Monday, June 24, 2013

You Know, I Would Not Call This A Good Opening Statement



George Zimmerman's attorney started his opening statement with a "knock-knock joke".   I'm not really an expert in these things, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is mighty unusual for a murder trial. It's not that humor can't be used as a humanizing element, it's just, well:--it's a "knock-knock" joke.  And the punchline seems to be, "Hey, you lucky bastids, enjoy jury duty."

When you consider that the prosecution opened with George Zimmerman's own, obscenity-laden words during the 911 call just prior to the Trayvon Martin slaying:

"Fucking punks. These assholes always get away."

which I've always considered the most damning evidence of what was going through Zimmerman's mind, it really strikes me that the defense has started out unspectacularly enough that I wonder if it's by design.

1 comment:

Grung_e_Gene said...

Better than Defense arguing that Trayvon Martin "Armed himself with a concrete sidewalk".

Morning Moment of Zen

  Alina Habba gives a masterclass on how to saw celery. pic.twitter.com/XwUBmcGt2P — Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) April 22, 2024 Seein...