Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Do I have this just about right regarding John McCain et als--

He's concerned enough about four dead in Benghazi that he will hold up Barack Obama's cabinet choices, but he wasn't concerned enough over the 4000 plus dead in the Iraq war to ever question Bush? Because he never really did, and I always kind of thought he would. Until it was time for him to get elected president. And he never contradicted Bush, and he didn't get elected. Funny how that worked.

Is it possible McCain was always a little bit overrrated?  I think so.He was belligerent about Iran--but that was not ever going to happen. He's belligerent about not allowing cabinet posts for jobs that really are important. But they do have to get filled, don't they? Should he maybe retire if he's just going to be in the way? I don't mean to be ageist. I just think he's kind of exemplified what it is to be done. So if he's done, maybe he might want to give way so we can still has government, yes? And if he wants to say "no" for all the personal feels, maybe I can recommend blogging?

4 comments:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I don't think McCain's problem is his age, it's the fact that he's an opportunist whose long masquerade as "an honorable man" has been exposed as a sham. He's got nothing left but his bitter memories of what could have been, but for the machinations of "lesser men".

And to think, we sang "Fields of Athenry" to the hypocritical old goat... it makes me sick.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

1) I agree with B^4.

2) Anyone remember this? Apparently McGrouchy does not.
~

Yastreblyansky said...

Absolutely overrated. Although apparently he was responsible for only two of his five plane crashes in the Navy (http://www.factcheck.org/2008/09/mccains-plane-crashes/). Then again, "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

And BBBB is right: it's not age. Though I suppose age makes the nonpartisan politico boys less likely to fall in love with him, and gives us leisure to start pitying him a bit.

Vixen Strangely said...

@ifthethunderdontgetya-- My opinion of McCain started to take form during those 2000 primaries in a crystal-clear way when the story of those supposedly Rove-based robocalls in SC came out. I was livid, myself, because it just didn't seem right to attack a man's family--his own daughter. But the response I kind of thought should happen--to have him use that, bust the Bush folks, defend his family--

It didn't happen. And I just felt some kind of way about that. It isn't that I swallowed McCain's heroism, so much as thought that if his "straight talk" persona held up, he'd offer some to the TX silver spoon punk whose campaign was okay with capitalizing on racism--but no. And over the two terms of the Bush Admin, I watched his position on, well, torture and indefinite detention, evolve into something shameful. I kind of thought he'd stick up on those, knowing enough about them. And I can honestly say disappointment can really motivate you to not like a person. I do not like McCain. He isn't necessarily more duplicitous, weak, or wrong-headed than some of his cohort--he just could be better and isn't. And it aggravates me that's what he chose.

The Red Line for Journalism

  I wonder why Speaker Johnson is so passionately weighing in on the Ronna firing… oh… https://t.co/Ek1OdMBDyN pic.twitter.com/uh7JEewLpr ...