Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Director of the CIA Probably Shouldn't Have a Comare

I felt a little blind-sided yesterday by the news that General David Petraeus resigned in a fast hurry when it was it was going to be revealed (because his resignation was the first I heard about it, how about you?) that he had an extra-marital affair with his biographer, whose book was fascinatingly enough titled All In: The Education of General David Petraeus--and if you can't write your own joke about that book title, I will not help you. After all, it is inappropriate to make an off-color sexual joke about another person's personal indiscretions, and also--duh, she is pre-wrote, the joke.   No, really, the breach of two marriages, the ignominious capper to a pretty legendary military career, and a sex scandal are all a bit sad and personal--

For which reason this story is journamilism gold. I'm pretty sure the ship on this not becoming grist for a number of very high-volume mills has sailed, and the results of that voyage will be a mixed as my metaphor.  I know that if I were a more serious person, I would concentrate on how Petraeus's sudden resignation appears with respects to the Obama Administration's transition to the second term, or the degree to which the individual most responsible for the Bush-era story about mobile biowarfare trailers  in Iraq and was a major proponent of the not-especially successful surge in Afghanistan strategy because it had apparently worked so well in Iraq, but why kick a neocon in the slats when he's down, except to guarantee he never rises again, am I right?

Here's the main scoop: the guy who got promoted to a highly critical and sensitive position in US intelligence was susceptible enough to flattery to let an admiring biographer get skin-close to him and possible compromised his communications. She, in turn, was caught out because she used email to threaten some other woman (or was it women?) to harass her (them) in the event that they would a) spill or b) hone in on her territory. And also, he used email to literally try and contact her thousands of times.  Oh, and did I mention she might have had access to his emails? Because that's a possible security breach.

I don't even want to get into the whole "and now he doesn't have to testify about Benghazi" thing, because--seriously?  The small, nasty gossip-monger side of me is like "thousands"? He emailed her "thousands" of times? Is that twoo wuv or did she have hold of some information he was all desperate about no one finding out, like something other than her nickname for him being "Peaches"?

I just do not know.

(X-posted at Rumproast.)

2 comments:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Tu sei siciliana, V.S.? I laughed when I read this post title, and laughed even harder when I automatically pronounced "comare" as "goo-mod".

Vixen Strangely said...

Sposo mio e calabrese.

TWGB: Been Caught Sleeping?

  Maybe other things happened at Trump's first day of his first criminal trial, but the apparently most notable thing was that he appea...