Monday, June 18, 2012

Someone must explain these shoes to me.

These are supposedly real shoes that will be on offer from Adidas. They have the appearance of some kind of leg-irons, which has some definitely unpleasant connotations.

But here's the pitch:

The seemingly innocent promotional material, uploaded to Facebook earlier this month, asks: 'Got a sneaker game so hot you lock your kicks to your ankles?'


(Hmm.  Ever enjoy a cultural insensitivity so vast you had to explain your damn shoes to people before they got the wrong idea?)


It's not that I think they intentionally had slavery or prison-yards or even the unfortunate experience that has sometimes occurred of particularly "hot" kicks being ripped right off their owners' feet.  It's that I don't understand the idea of shackling one's shoes to one's feet.  If your shoes simply fall the fuck off, they are the wrong size. And if you have to chain them to you, you probably aren't enjoying them. (The experience of walking in such a contraption reminds me a bit of gladiator sandals--not a cankle-friendly shoe, that.)


I dunno.  I wear Keds, myself.

2 comments:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I think it was a "seemed like a good idea at the time" kind of thing. I'm not a shoe aficianado, I have the devil's own time trying to find shoes that my super-wide plates of meat can fit into.

Basically, I'm Cinderella's ugly stepsister.

Grung_e_Gene said...

I can't believe at some point during the product design phase someone over at the 3 Stripes couldn't look outside the box and realize manacles are a bad idea for a shoe-type (basketball) primarily targeting african-americans.

OR maybe Adidas really loves pirates. Yeeeaaaar!

TWGB: Where Did it Go?

  So, it looks like Trump is broke. He got Chubb to do his E. Jean Carroll thing, but they'll be fucked if they are standing his fraud t...