Saturday, April 14, 2012

Back to Mitt Romney--


I don’t know how everything got shifted over to how one person who isn’ta campaign spokesperson for President Obama said one technically true thing that didn’t sound right and then suddenly everything was about how Lefties don’t love Mom, the flag or apple pie. I’m sure a bunch of people who are White House and campaign spox are going through Message Discipline Boot Camp right now (Drop and give me twenty talking points!) But I have my ideas. It seems like the only card conservatives can draw is the Defense of Traditional Womanhood Card, just like they play the Defense of Traditional Marriage Card in another respect of the culture war.  In other words, they whinge, “Why are you attacking this tradition (by pointing out that others exist)?”

Thus, when Hilary Rosen made a specific point about Ann Romney’s privilege in being able to be a stay-at-home-mom, it was attacked as being about her choice to be a stay-at-home-mom. Honestly, I do not care if Ann Romney worked a day outside the home. It matters to me that Gov. Romney has decided that he will receive his communications from Planet Vajayjay from someone who is more familiar with Ladies Who Lunch than Ladies who can’t Catch a Lunch Break.

The big issue at stake though, is, does Romney “get” that he has to appreciate the lives of single mothers, breadwinners, working women,women who did not have his wife’s opportunities?

Does he appreciate that some of us have more complex histories?



 I don’t think he does. So I’m ready to hand this discussion back to Mitt.


(X-posted at Rumproast.

1 comment:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

If Ann Romney wants to play the "hard-working stay-at-home mom" card, then it's fair to hang her probably underpaid domestic staff around her neck like so many albatrosses.

I wish the Democratic Party mucky mucks would get a clue, and start playing hardball with these GOPers.

The Red Line for Journalism

  I wonder why Speaker Johnson is so passionately weighing in on the Ronna firing… oh… https://t.co/Ek1OdMBDyN pic.twitter.com/uh7JEewLpr ...