Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fresh off of winning the FL primary, Romney is...Not Concerned. Oh--about poors.

If former MA Governor Mitt Romney was concerned about being a member of the 1% and how he might show a bit more of the common touch, he showed all too much of his usual cluelessness, saying he wasn't "concerned about the very poor".

Now, that might not be fair to him.  Let's hear a bit more.  What he actually said was:

ROMNEY: I’m not concerned with the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I’ll fix it. I’m not concerned about the very rich, they’re doing just fine. I’m concerned about the very heart of the America. [..]

HOST: You just said said, ‘I’m not concerned about the very poor because they have a safety net.’ But I think there are a lot of very poor Americans who are struggling who would say, that sounds odd. [...]

ROMNEY: The challenge right now — we will hear from the Democrat party the plight of the poor. And there’s no question it’s not good being poor. And we have a safety net to help those that are very poor, but campaign is focused is on middle-income Americans. My campaign — you can choose where to focus. You can focus on the rich, that’s not my focus. You can focus on the very poor, that’s not my focus.

"Because they don't even vote" he did not say, and "Because they  wouldn't vote for me if they did", he also did not need to say.

Now, I think it's one thing for him to acknowledge that there's a "safety net" in this country that does help some of the people some of the time, but he seems clueless about the fact that it doesn't help everybody, and he doesn't acknowledge that his party has been cutting holes in the damn thing for people to fall through. (I'm in favor of a moderately springy social safety trampoline myself.  You know, just so those who can do well, have the opportunity to "rise up", not just "land". The net's too low and not nearly taut enough for a good launch.) 

He's also not that concerned about the very rich.  As he has ample reason to know, they're doing A-ok.

No comments:

Vance Walked into This So Hard

  KAITLAN COLLINS: So you agree that people who break in and vandalize a building should be prosecuted? JD VANCE: Yes COLLINS: Ok, I'm...