Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Glenn Beck Speculates that Following the 10 Commandments Might Prevent Earthquakes, I think.

Now, I post these because I sort of collect them--the bone-headed speculations of blatherers about why some group of people deserve whatever the current disaster of the day is, usually for some version of "Now you've done it--you've pissed me God off."  I guess I'm fascinated with the examples of mindless (and usually, heartless) blather, because they seem to exemplify some really dreadful streak in the human spirit, at once small and spiteful, and yet, on the other hand, so accessible and understandable. Victim-blaming is cruel, unhelpful nonsense, but I think it stems from a need to try and make sense of enormous evil in a way compatible with justice, without really comprehending that justice is a human notion. It doesn't apply to natural events, and natural events occur for physical reasons that are not demonstrative of any apparent will of some higher sentient being.  Some people may take comfort in the idea that an angry god can be negotiated with or propitiated--as for me, I don't know if I would want to bargain with a celestial terrorist, and speculate that in a past life (if I really believed in those) I must have been a virgin tossed down a volcano.  I take these speculations as if personally-directed. Also, I think people who actually say these things aloud probably are using the importance of a tragedy to lend weight to whatever b.s. they feel like pushing.

And so I present one Glenn Beck (the world could not account for two):

Beck continued trying to make a connection between human behavior and the natural disasters that have wreaked havoc in Japan, even casually mentioning "radical Islam" before revealing what he called "the answer."

"The answer is, buckle up!" he said. "Because it's going to be a bumpy ride."

In light of the disasters that have devastated Japan, the Fox host stressed people should follow the biblical Ten Commandments, or what he referred to as "10 rules of thumb."

"What do you say we start doing those things?" he asked. "Because the things we are doing really suck. And they're not getting better."

The Ten Commandments. Of course.  Not because Japan is located in the Ring of Fire--but because of an Iron Age code of ethics developed by a specific Near-Eastern religious tradition.This would be an odd thing to believe, if I thought Beck believed it. But he is so very frequently a pandering tool, that I believe he got stuck on the "pandering" setting and just went for the obvious pious goofery. ("Which of God's laws did they violate, Glenn?"  "All of them." ) It's low, but not beneath him, to blow this kind of "others deserve" business right up his audience's inflamed "sense of smug", which enjoys the mentholated sensation of sheer cold-bloodedness.
He really is a jerk.

No comments:

TWGB: Where's the Cavalry?

  Trump's trial, in a way, involves a bit of myth-making--today we learned that, per an agreement between Trump and David Pecker of the ...