Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I counted, and this is not my change--Gitmo? Please!



I just now noticed this thing at TPM, even though I heard about it::

The draft order, a version of which was first considered nearly 18 months ago, is expected to be signed by President Obama early in the New Year. The order allows for the possibility that detainees from countries like Yemen might be released if circumstances there change.

But the order establishes indefinite detention as a long-term Obama administration policy and makes clear that the White House alone will manage a review process for those it chooses to hold without charge or trial.


Nearly two years after Obama's pledge to close the prison at Guantanamo, more inmates there are formally facing the prospect of lifelong detention and fewer are facing charges than the day Obama was elected.


Okay, this bothers the hell out of me. One of the reasons I voted for Obama was because I respected him as a legal mind and appreciated that he was talking about addressing this shameful issue of American injustice with respects to these detainees not being treated like people who had some basic rights. This news is troubling to me because I see it as being about the core issues that this country is founded on--justice, human rights, anti-tyranny. I want to hope that a review process has some meaning, but I'm not hopeful, actually. This is a topic on which my OBot tendencies totally break down.

Hey, Wikileaks guys? Dirt on Gitmo, please? I know you say you have some--plz?


(See, this is the kind of shit that makes me pro-leakage. This MSM story however, presents one of the known objections I already have--we don't even necessarily know why we're holding all of these people. That isn't right.)

No comments:

The Mayorkas Impeachment was Mercy-Killed

  JUST IN: The Senate has killed a second article of impeachment against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, ending the House G...