Monday, May 10, 2010

Elena Kagan and stupid people. Like the AFA....


The PFAW blog Right Wing Watch has been keeping a good eye on something kind of uniquely despicable that's occuring on the right about Supreme-Court-nominee Elena Kagan, which is the speculation regarding her sexuality by people who are altogether too hung-up about it. Please, fundies! Think about something besides naughty-parts! It's embarrasing!

I think it's a little weird that they are pre-emptively speculating about her lesbianism on the basis of her being single and liberal (or at least, I think that's why they are so speculating). And I suppose there is some speculating on the left, too. But I'm not.

I don't care. I'm pretty much a supporter of gay rights, and I'm all for ending DADT and I'm pro-gay marriage, and all, but here's my deal on sexuality, and why it might not be an issue:

People don't always do what their parts tell them to. They think with something else. And sometimes, their parts are out of the game altogether.

I don't know why this gay vs. straight thing has people all hung up. There are also people like myself, who are fluid in their preferences. And there are people who just aren't interested. They don't have a preference, because they prefer something other than sex. So if we want to get all up in someone's business, um, here's a possibility, what if someone doesn't have a business to be up in? How do we judge them?

I don't know that that is her case, but I perceive that asexuality is an extant case publically unconsidered. And while I'm at it, I might as well stick up for asexuals, too. If I'm going to argue that "It ain't nobody's business if you do," I might as well also put in my thing for "And it's nobody's business if you don't". Is it possible to be a closeted asexual? You know, hiding absolutely nothing?

Oh snap--maybe that isn't even something people should be judged by! Maybe the AFA and other groups are jumping to a wrong conclusion because of their anti-gay bias instead of admitting to the possibility that an informed intellectual opinion regarding human rights can be articulated by any thinking person regardless of orientation. My history overwhelmingly validates heterosexuality as my dominant orientation, but that alone doesn't have any bearing on how I vote or how I would decide regarding the rights of other people. Because saying a lesbian would be biased about gay rights is a little like assuming a straight person would be--it's just dumb.

People think, you know? And we really are more than our identities, sexual or otherwise.

No comments:

Vance Walked into This So Hard

  KAITLAN COLLINS: So you agree that people who break in and vandalize a building should be prosecuted? JD VANCE: Yes COLLINS: Ok, I'm...