Friday, March 27, 2009

Michele Bachmann's Revolution against Marxism, tyranny, and a new currency, and....and stuff.



I tried to make a coherent post in my own words regarding her several appearances lately, but my words failed. When I think of her war, waged on the battlefield of her mind, where opposing armies of rumor and things she thought she heard but didn't really understand, clash in the semi-darkness, and are animated for moments at a time by the cameras of FOX news and comented upon, with reassuring seriousness, by analysts like Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck, I realize that my words can only fail next to hers, because she burns with the fierce flame of a believer.

I'm still working on the "what" she believes in, but here are some choice quotes:




And here's where I try to make out why she's in revolution-mode.

I'm sure she hasn't quite noticed that we started in the hole before Obama came into office, and that he's not trying "Marxism"--the stimulus spending is about trying to fix a capitalism that has petered out because of its own excesses. He's actually banking (heh heh) on the idea that we have a problem that can be fixed with money. And the authority to take over businesses is to keep them from failing, because our free market system is very interconnected. "Too big to fail" means "letting them fail is failing a system." Our American capitalist economic system. And that authority is not new--the FDIC does have the ability to take banks into receivership. It's not some sneaky way to nationalize a private industry to take away power from the people who made it work--

It's to save it from the people who broke it, and the way it works is....it gets, hopefully, handed back to them, better off than before.

The "nutty flavor" of her ramblings seems to have to do with something about a fear of creeping One-Worldism--a New World Order, if you will. The rumor of a "new currency" kind of came from Asia, where it has been suggested that a global currency as a stable standard for determining value as opposed to letting the dollar be the standard was suggested. (Have the spending and borrowing policies of the Bush Administration been really good for the value of the dollar--let me think back on my trip to Italy....no, looks like the dollar might fluctuate, I guess. They have a reason to float the notion--it goes with the open speculation about whether we're good for the money we're borrowing. Which is the sort of thing China *would* say, right about now. i.e., Michele Bachmann doesn't get global economics and how it ties into foreign policy. 'Nuff said.)

There actually has not been any suggestion from the "Marxists" (actually, I think for the most part they seem to be pretty much capitalists, mostly of the Keynesian variety) that they would be ruining our freedom by making us learn a new way of counting our shillings and pence, or whatever it is we're using these days. (Yes, I know we don't use s, d, or p, in this country. I'm having a bit of a laugh at the Congresswoman's unworldliness. I think her next rant may involve our going to the metric system as if we were Canadians, or something. Another thing no one has proposed we do.)

I am tickled by her envisioning American "boat people" (or more specifically, "inner-tube people") looking for somewhere to turn. From the tyranny. Of, um, the new currency? The government cutting some paychecks instead of private businesses? The, um. The indignity of seeing rich people maybe being taxed more?

Like I said, it gets incoherent once I try to pick out exactly what she's ready to rebel against. But like some Republican James Dean, I'm sure it's whatever Obama's got. Kind of like a Rebel without a Clue.

No comments:

Liar's Polka

  Host: At the end of the book you say, the very first thing you would do if you got to the WH that was different from Biden, is you would ...