Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New Year's Resolution: Check my Baggage

So, here's where I was:



And it wasn't a bad place, merely poetic and not really grounded in facts--like, the bag wasn't trying to play with me, it wanted to clog gutters and strangle wildlife . Well, it didn't actually want anything, not being sentient, in fact, but a plastic construct devised for convenience, but unfortunately, made in gross quantities and really needlessly. Or so I've come to read about.

I had, literally, dozens of these falling out of my closet, where I was saving them because I could not throw them away, because I a) vaguely felt like I didn't really want them in my local landfill, amongst all the convenient diapers and the biodegradable stuff stuffed into not-so-much degradable, but hygenic bags, and b) always thought I might have a bag-emergency, where I'd just need the things. Don't know why. Every time I went to the supermarket or even the dollar store, I saved my little plastic bag. They multiplied like tribbles.

No more. If China can do it, and Whole Foods can do it, I think I can, so I got these Cyma bags from my on-line retailer: (I know, shut it), amazon.com , and if I can just remember to put them in my car, and actually use them in the store, I think I can really feel like I made a step in the right direction.

And I know some people will make the China-Whole Foods-environmental connection and ask what kind of hippie "bagism" (shoot, "bagism" is already taken--find a new word) is this? Oh, well:




Ism, ism, ism. Not having fish choked out by plastic bags or landfills clotted up by my refuse is my idea of good karma. So I'm all about the bags right now--and they seem to be hot--you can find canvas, hemp, recycled soda bottle, whatever, it's a bag world.

No comments:

The Red Line for Journalism

  I wonder why Speaker Johnson is so passionately weighing in on the Ronna firing… oh… https://t.co/Ek1OdMBDyN pic.twitter.com/uh7JEewLpr ...